American International College of Arts and Sciences – Antigua’s (AICASA)
Our pre-medical program helps prepare students for successful careers in a variety of health professions.
Where Should You Study Pre-Med? At AUA!
American International College of Arts and Sciences – Antigua’s (AICASA) pre-med program gives qualified students the opportunity to complete 60 undergraduate school credits, including all prerequisites required to enter medical school, in two years. It also provides a golden opportunity for students who are missing certain prerequisites for medical school admission.
Through an articulation agreement with AICASA, American University of Antigua College of Medicine (AUA) offers a program that gives students the opportunity to begin their medical education after graduating from high school.
Qualified graduates of AICASA’s two-year Associate’s Degree in Health Sciences are given preferential admission status to AUA College of Medicine.
The Associate of Science in Health Sciences Program at AICASA is accredited by the Accrediting Council of Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS), a United States-recognized accrediting body.
Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) Test Scores
Each pre-med student will have to take the MCAT, a standardized test medical schools use to determine admission. The MCAT includes four sections:
- Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems
- Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems
- Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior
- Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills
Unlike most med schools in Canada and the US, few Caribbean medical schools require Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores for admission. At the American University of Antigua, MCAT scores are not required for admission to pre-med students, however, MCAT scores are required for matriculation. This distinction is in place to comply with U.S. government regulations, while still reassuring applicants that average MCAT scores do not play a role in admissions decisions.
Want to know more about pre-med and prerequisite courses? For the best preparation, read our “What is Pre-Med?” article.
Attend Medical School
To apply, applicants must have earned a high school degree.
Our dedicated health professions advisors can provide assistance throughout the medical school application process, regarding course selection, personal statements, and interviews.
Applicants must submit the following along with their application:
- A completed application form
- A personal statement explaining:
- Why you are considering a career in your chosen field of study
- How you will be an asset to the college
- Your accomplishments, activities, and any other relevant information
- Resume or CV is not required, but encouraged
- Official transcripts from all secondary and postsecondary schools attended
- Two official letters of recommendation, one of which must be from an academic source
- A nonrefundable U.S. $75 application fee in the form of a U.S. or Canadian-drawn check or money order made payable to the American International College of Arts and Sciences—Antigua