Education Enhancement Department
The Education Enhancement Department (EED) empowers students to realize their potential by providing services and activities that complement and enrich classroom instruction, improve student performance, and advance instructional goals for learning, retention, and progression.
Studying for medical school is quite different from undergraduate and other professions. The sheer volume of information requires specific study strategies that we know work in medical education and for long-term retention needed as a practicing physician. It is not enough to memorize or even understand concepts, you will need to be able to analyze and evaluate information to be successful in medical school and your career.
• New Student Orientation
• One-on-one academic advising with EED faculty member learning specialists
• Medical Scholars Program
– Peer-led active learning sessions
– Peer-led individual tutoring
• Study Groups – We assist students with finding a study group.
• Mentor Program – We pair Med 2 and Med 3 students as mentors to Med 1 students.
• Academic Success Program – The AUA Academic Success Program (ASP) is a mandatory program, to provide all students who were unsuccessful in two or more Basic Science courses for their Block One examination with essential academic support and resources to assist them in their future academic achievement.
• Re-boot – a supportive program for students repeating Semester One, Two, Three, and Four
• Semester Action Plans to assist with studying for comprehensive examinations
In-class and voluntary workshops on various topics such as:
• Study Strategies
• Time Management
• Active Learning
• Critical Thinking/Working with Multiple Choice Questions
• Cognitive Skills
• Social Support
• Interpersonal Skills in Medicine
• Art Therapy
• Learning and Study Strategies for Medical Education
• Test Anxiety
• Concept Mapping
We invite you to stop by our offices at any time. If we are available, we are happy to assist you immediately. If not, you can make an appointment and pick up any of the study strategy materials that we offer.