Most students who take up science aspire to apply for MBBS and become a doctor. It is one of the most respected career options not only for Indian students but for all students worldwide. The Covid-19 pandemic proved yet again the importance of skilled healthcare professionals. It is obvious that the world needs more skilled doctors who can save people’s lives.
Although India is known for its excellent curriculum and best medical colleges, getting an MBBS admission in India is not a walk in the park. Lakhs of Indian students apply for MBBS seats after qualifying for the NEET exams.
They all hope to get accepted into a government college as private universities require high tuition fees and donations. Did you know that there are only 529 medical colleges in India, out of which 269 are privately run? Therefore, the chances of getting admitted into a government college are very slim.
In the last decade, there has been an increase in the number of Indian students applying for MBBS abroad. Why? Among many other reasons, in certain foreign countries, the cost of MBBS is less than some of the prestigious private medical colleges in India. So that brings us to the next question: which is the best country to study mbbs for Indian students?
Best place to study MBBS abroad
Once you understand the pros of studying MBBS abroad, the next step is to find the right country and the right university that will best suit your educational, financial, and other personal requirements. All it takes is some in-depth research and you should be able to choose the right university and country.
The education system in foreign countries is very diverse. Each country has its own parameters for medical aspirants wanting to study MBBS in their country. In addition, there are many universities that encourage international students to apply as they want to establish a cultural-positive environment in their campuses.
General eligibility criteria for Indian students to study MBBS abroad
Before we get to the five best countries for Indian students to study MBBS abroad, you must first know the general eligibility criteria. Though this varies from one institution to another, these are the basic eligibility criteria international students must comply with:
- Applicants must have completed 10th and 12th grade in science specialisations such as Biology, Physics, Chemistry, etc. An aggregate of at least 50% is expected.
- If the student is applying in the general category, English medium of instruction in the past education is preferred. FOR SC/ST/OBC students, the expected aggregate is 40%.
- Most foreign medical colleges do not specify a minimum MCAT score. However, scores above 510 are usually considered good. The score should not be more than four years old.
- As the curriculum is in English, the student must take an English proficiency test. The two test scores considered for this purpose are IELTS and TOEFL.
- The student should have cleared the Indian NEET exams. (However, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Indian government has given a conditional exemption for 2021. The government allows Indian students to apply for any foreign universities for MBBS even if they did not qualify in the 2020 NEET exams. Students could apply for MBBS abroad immediately without waiting another year to write NEET exams. This helped the students save one year and apply for MBBS abroad without waiting for normalcy to return.)
5 Best Countries for Indian Students to Study MBBS Abroad
Many countries welcome Indian students to study MBBS abroad. The main question in all student’s minds is “What is the best country for mbbs for Indian students?”However, the top picks in the past have been these five countries.
- Studying MBBS in the USA
Yes, studying in the USA is a dream come true for many Indian students. Apart from all the medico-dramas Indians enjoy watching, there are other important reasons why the USA is topping the list. Unlike India, MBBS in the USA is not considered a bachelor’s degree. It is a postgraduate program.
You will be awarded a Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree at the end of the course. To study MBBS in the USA, you will be required to complete a four-year pre-medical program. After completing the pre-medical program, you must complete a one-year internship and clear USMLE 1 & 2 (the United States Medical Licensing Examination.) After clearing the two levels of USMLE exams, you can practice residency in the USA. The overall MBBS duration in the USA to earn a degree is six to seven years.
2. Studying MBBS in the UK
MBBS in the UK is very popular because the duration of the course is four to six years. MBBS is offered as Bachelor of Medicine in BS, ChB, BCh, and BAO in the UK—BAO is optional. The four variants deal with medicine, surgery, and obstetrics. Students undergo a two-year foundation training after completing two years as undergraduates. After four years, students are required to take speciality training to specialise in the area they are interested in. Completing the speciality training is based on the student’s performance and can go up to seven years. After completing the speciality training, students get the course completion certificate.
Eligibility and the process
- Students must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- All students must apply for MBBS through UCAS. In most UK colleges, a minimum score of 80% to 90% in 12th exams is mandatory.
- Students need to pass the NEET exams and clear entrance exams—UKCAT, GAMSAT, or BMAT.
- An IELTS score of 6.5 to 7.0 is generally required.
- After applying online, wait for the university to send you the invitation.
- After receiving the initiation, visit the closest British Embassy and start the process.
The average score to pass the entrance exams are as follows:
|BMAT||4.5 to 5.0|
Top MBBS universities in the UK
- University of Oxford
- University of Cambridge
- University College London
- Imperial College London
- King’s College London
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Manchester
- University of Glasgow
- Newcastle University
3. MBBS in Canada
MBBS in Canada is also called Doctor of Medicine (MD), similar to the USA. Indian students must take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). Based on the program and the students’ choices, the duration for MBBS in Canada is three to five years. Students who have a bachelor’s degree in science are eligible for the four-year program while other students have to opt for the five-year program.
4 & 5. MBBS in the Caribbean and Germany
Both German and Caribbean medical schools have a high-quality education, skilled and experienced doctors, a welcoming community, and relaxed eligibility criteria. As a result, you can pass the USMLE exams easily in these countries, and they have strong collaborations with other medical schools in the USA, UK, Canada, India, etc.
Apart from these countries, there are other countries where Indian students can study MBBS at a low cost. Some of the top countries are:
There is no one best country for MBBS in the world. However, there are a plethora of options for Indian students to choose from. Based on individual requirements and capabilities, you can find the best place to study MBBS. All the best!