Application season is coming up fast. When you’re putting together your application for medical school, consider what type of applicant you are and what specific requirements you need to submit. Here’s a quick rundown:

U.S. Applicant

U.S. applicants need to fulfill these basic requirements for an application to be considered: completion of pre-requisite courses, a personal statement, transcripts, two letters of recommendation, and an MCAT score. Although an MCAT score is required, it’s not considered when evaluating your application.

International Applicant

Applicants are considered international if they have completed their undergraduate studies in an educational system outside the United States and Canada. Besides the basics mentioned above, international applicants also need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score. In addition, all transcripts need to be evaluated by an international accreditation evaluation service.

Canadian Applicant

Canadian applicants have an advantage over other applicants: they don’t need to submit MCAT or TOEFL scores. Plus, Canada has its own loans program available. Seriously, being an applicant from Canada is the best.

Basic Sciences Transfer Applicant

Students who have completed some medical school courses would be considered this applicant. Basic Sciences transfer applicants need to submit a letter from their previous medical school’s Dean of Students to prove they’re in good standing. Students transferring between Caribbean medical schools should check out our list of approved and disapproved schools before applying.

Clinical Sciences Transfer Applicant

Students who have already completed clinical rotations at a different institution would be considered this applicant. Like Basic Sciences transfer applicants, a Dean’s letter is required but Clinical Sciences transfer applicants must also pass the USMLE Step 1 on their first attempt and have to submit clinical evaluations as well.

International Clinical Sciences Transfer Applicant

In addition to Clinical Sciences transfer requirements described above, international Clinical Sciences transfers need a B-1 visa to participate in clinical rotations. Students can apply for one at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate and by contacting our clinical team for an immigration packet.

Related Articles

The Admissions Process: U.S. vs. Caribbean Medical Schools

10 Questions to Ask When Applying to Caribbean Medical Schools