American University of Antigua (AUA), is pleased to announce Dr. Seymour Schwartz, MD, FACS, Provost and Chief Academic Officer of AUA has been appointed by the New York State Board of Regents Chancellor Merryl H. Tisch to serve on the Advisory Committee on Long-Term Clinical Clerkships.
The first duty of the committee is to make recommendations to the Board of Regents regarding the standards and process to be applied in assessing applications by international medical schools for approval to place their students in long-term clinical clerkships in New York State. More information about the Rules of the Board of Regents and the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education Relating to the Approval of Dual-Campus International Medical Schools Seeking to Place Their Students in Long-Term Clinical Clerkships in New York State can be found in the materials for the June 2011 meeting of the Board of Regents.
Dr. Seymour I. Schwartz, Distinguished Alumni Professor of Surgery, was born in New York City where he was educated in the public school system. In 1947, he received his Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Wisconsin, Madison and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. In 1950, he graduated from the New York University College of Medicine and was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha. That year, he began his surgical residency training program at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, completing the experience in 1957, at which time he joined the surgical faculty where he has remained for the ensuing 48 years, culminating in Chairmanship from 1987 to 1998.
Also named to the Advisory Committee on Long-Term Clinical Clerkships:
- Regent Wade Norwood, co-chair
- Dr. Rodger Oskvig, Chair, State Board for Medicine, co-chair
- Walter Ramos, J.D., R.N., Executive Secretary, State Board for Medicine
- Dr. John Morley, Medical Director, Office of Health Systems Management, Department of Health
- Lawrence G. Smith, M.D., M.A.C.P., Dean, Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine; Physician-in-Chief, North Shore-LIJ Health System
- Nancy A. Perri, M.D., Chief Academic Officer, Ross University School of Medicine
- Steven C. Rodger, Chairman & CEO, R3 Education Inc.
- Audrée A. Bendo, M.D., M.S., Professor of Anesthesiology; Program Director; Vice Chair for Education, SUNY/Health Science Center at Brooklyn
- Michael J. Reichgott, M.D., Ph.D., Professor of Medicine; Director for Conflict of Interest and for Human Subjects Protection, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Robert K. Weiser, M.D., F.A.C.S., Attending Surgeon, The New York Methodist Hospital and The Long Island College Hospital
- Ram Kairam, M.D., Chairman – Department of Pediatrics, Bronx Lebanon Hospital Center
As required by the Rules of the Board of Regents, the committee includes a representative of the Department of Health, physicians experienced in the evaluation of medical education programs, representatives of international medical schools approved by the Department, representatives of medical schools registered in New York State, and representatives of hospitals that serve as sites for clinical clerkships in New York State.