Applying to medical school is a daunting process for many prospective students. The list of questions seems endless. What are the prerequisites? What makes a standout personal statement? Is an interview required? How much does it cost?
To demystify the medical school application process, American University of Antigua (AUA) College of Medicine is hosting a webinar on April 10th at 8:30 PM EST.
Dr. James M. Rice, RhD –Associate Dean of Admissions, Associate Dean of Student Affairs Professor, and Acting Chair, Department of Behavioral Science and Neuroscience – will host the webinar, along with a panel of AUA alumni. Dr. Rice holds a doctoral degree in rehabilitation from Southern Illinois University. He is a licensed psychologist and has worked in hospitals with chronic pain, spinal-cord injured, stroke, and traumatic brain injury patients, as well as in private practice offering psychological assessment, treatment, and consultation services.
The AUA webinar is a free online event that will answer frequently asked questions and provide helpful resources for medical school applicants. Topics will include:
- Academic prerequisites – What undergraduate courses are needed to apply? How many hours are required?
- The application package – What is included in the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) application and AUA’s application (both accepted at AUA)? What are admissions directors looking for in a prospective student?
- The MCAT – How much weight does the MCAT carry in the application process? Does every applicant need to sit for the MCAT? (For example, AUA believes there is no correlation between MCAT scores and becoming successful physician, so the MCAT isn’t considered in admissions decisions. But due to federal regulations, the school must still collect MCAT scores from US citizens, nationals, or permanent residents.)
- The medical school interview – What do admissions directors want to learn during an interview? What is the best way to prepare for an interview?
- International student requirements – What documents and exams must international applicants prepare? What is the language requirement?
AUA’s upcoming webinar is designed to address applicants’ most pressing concerns and minimize stress around applying to medical school.