Ultimate Guide to Applying for Medical School: Prepping Your Resume
Finding the perfect way to showcase your talents to each university you apply to can be challenging. A current resume is just one of the application materials American University of Antigua requires. Here are a few essential tips to prep it right.
Start with a strong, bold heading of your name and contact information. After that, it should follow this general guideline:
- Include your earned degrees (associates, bachelors, etc.), name of universities attended, dates conferred, and any advanced degrees or other educational accomplishments.
- Professional/Teaching Experience
- Include any internship or physician shadowing you may have completed prior to applying to medical school. Demonstrating leadership will be crucial here.
- Licenses and Certifications
- Awards and Honors
- Dont be afraid to brag! List as many relevant honors as you can.
- Pre-Med Societies
- Are you a member of Alpha Epsilon Delta? To the top with you!
- Volunteer Service
- Extracurricular Activities
- This is your chance to show you’re as well-rounded as you claim. Be human, but consider including anything that will make you stand out (like software knowledge, etc.)
Of course, there are many ways you can construct and design your resume using this information, just always make sure the information is clear, concise, and current. Johns Hopkins has an example of what a good med school resume template would look like. Every program will have different requirements so tailor each resume to each schools needs.
Once you have a draft, try to take an objective look at your resume. Are there gaps? Was everything included done so with a distinct purpose? Go back to your personal statement if youre stuck and add in anything else if necessary to make your resume tell your story.
Remember: when applying for medical school, your resume is the first writing sample they will see.
Which do you think is harder: writing a personal statement, or perfecting your resume?
Click below to download the full Ultimate Guide.